The Best Winter Holiday Destinations In The Country
- December 7, 2018
- Activities, Blog, Camping, RVing Tips, More Categories...
- Posted by Sky River RV
- Leave your thoughts
St. Augustine, Florida
If you want to enjoy Christmas but still have the warmer weather head over to St. Augustine, Florida. You won’t be disappointed. The city hosts Nights of Lights from Thanksgiving all the way through to the end of January. This year it’s running until February 3rd. It is one of the best light displays that you will see anywhere. You can take a trolley ride throughout the town or a ride in a horse-drawn carriage. There’s plenty of shopping you can check out and dining options including local breweries. You can also take in the boat parade, holiday concerts, craft shows and more.
Anastasia State Park is a great place to stay within St. Augustine. You can be close to all the events and still take in all the natural beauty that Florida and its coast has to offer.
Estes Park, Colorado
If you enjoy winter recreational activities then Estes Park, Colorado is a great place for you to visit over the holidays. It’s a base camp for Rocky Mountain National Park. There are tons of great opportunities around for skiing and snowboarding. The town decorates for the Christmas season and the mountains provide a scenic backdrop. There’s shopping, dining, and activities for everyone, even if you don’t want to be out in the snow. You can enjoy the views from inside with a warm drink.
There are plenty of RV parks that you can choose to stay at while on your trip.
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Stone Mountain holds a Christmas celebration called Stone Mountain Christmas. This year it runs through January 6th. This park is just north of Atlanta putting you in a short drive of just about anything you could be looking for. During the holidays there are plenty of events that you can partake in from Breakfast with Santa to snow tubing. You can enjoy festival music and holiday lights while tucked away in the mountains.
The campground has over 200 RV sites to choose from.
Paso Robles, California
If you want to upscale your holiday getaway Paso Robles is a great place to visit. You can take in the wonders of Christmas while enjoying the warmer weather. Paso Robles Wine Country is home to more than 200 wineries. You can enjoy the stunning landscapes of the wineries and the beauty of the town to match. There are plenty of Christmas events that take place around the area. And, there are plenty of luxury RV resorts to go along with it.
Tips for doing Christmas on the road
Here are a few tips for those of you that want to RV over Christmas but don’t want to forgo celebrating the holiday altogether:
- Decorate your RV – Just because you aren’t home doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy some of your decorations. Add a little Christmas decor to the inside of your RV. You can even set up a small Christmas tree. If you are going to be at a set base camp you can also bring along some outdoor decorations. There are plenty of campgrounds that encourage RVers to go all out with their decorations even hosting decorating contests.
- Go small on the gifts – If you plan on bringing and opening presents while you’re on the road make sure you take into consideration the size of the gifts that you’re bringing. It might not be the right time for the Barbie dream house.
- Preplan your meal – If you have something specific you want in mind for a Christmas meal make sure you plan ahead of time. What do you need to bring with you? What will you need to pick up when you’re on the road? Is there somewhere special that you want to eat?
- Travel makes a great present – There’s lots of research that shows experiences make great gifts over physical items. Most kids already have more toys than they could possibly need or use, so give the gift of travel and memories instead.
If you want to give the ultimate gift to your family this year what about a new RV? You would be providing them with years of memories and travel gifts to come. Contact your local RV expert at Sky River RV to discuss your options today.